The Office of University Counsel is available only to officers and employees acting on behalf of George Mason University. In some circumstances the Office might be available to agents and volunteers to the University, but advice and representation must be related to the scope of duties delineated by the University and carried out by the agent or volunteer. The Office cannot provide legal consultation or representation to faculty and staff in their individual capacities. Personal, unrelated or potentially adversarial legal matters must be addressed by private counsel.
- If you receive a correspondence from an outside lawyer, immediately notify our office.
- If you receive a subpoena or other document from any Court or outside lawyer, immediately notify our Office.
FOIA (Freedom of Information Act)
- Administrative Policy No. 1117
- If you receive a FOIA request, you may contact the University FOIA Officer for guidance: Susan Harris, email@example.com, (703) 993-5115
FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act) Guidelines
- FERPA General Release Form (Microsoft Word Document)
The information provided is for your guidance. Specific questions should be referred to our office.
This web site and accompanying materials have been prepared by the GMU University Counsel staff for informational purposes only, and may not be construed as "Legal Advice" from the Office of University Counsel